How To Obtain a Temporary Work Visa

For those looking to find temporary work in the United States, applying for an H-2 visa is the necessary move for that to happen. The following guide will provide you with all necessary information on how to go about the application process.

Step 1: Receive a Job Offer

The first necessary step toward receiving an H-2 visa is to receive a job offer from an employer that will sponsor you. H-2 visas are contingent on an employer signing on, so make sure that a potential employer will sponsor a petition on your behalf. However, beware of any fraudulent offers. You can contact the nearest U.S. Consulate to verify a potential employer’s offer.

Step 2: Complete the DS-160 Application Form and Pay Its Fee

Determine which H-2 visa you are going to apply for. A temporary H2A work visa is for agricultural-based jobs, and the temporary H2B is for any other type of short-term job. The online DS-160 application asks for previous arrests, previous time spent in the United States and previous attempts to cross the border. It is important to answer these questions honestly; any lies could result in disqualification. After the application is completed, a fee of $190 USD must be made at any Banamex or Scotiabank branch in Mexico. This is the only fee required for processing, so be wary of any scams that ask for illegal fees.

Step 3: Applicant Service Center

Here, you will have your photograph and fingerprints taken or submitted for American records. Make sure that you bring a valid passport, petition number and proof of payment for the application fee.

Step 4: U.S. Consulate Interview

During this interview, you will be asked many of the same questions that were on the DS-160 application. Again, tell the truth here, as lying could result in permanent U.S. visa ineligibility.

Once all of these steps have been taken, an approved applicant can travel to a U.S. port of entry and apply for admission as an H-2 worker. Once granted admission, you can begin working for your employer.